OH Yes! Bacon made from coconut! This keep so well in the freezer. Use it for sandwiches, salads or anything because everything is better with BACON!!
- 3 cups large, unsweetened coconut flakes (not regular shredded coconut!)
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium tamari soy sauce (or other soy sauce)
- 2½ tablespoons liquid smoke (any flavor, choose your favorite)
- 1½ tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a half-sheet pan or large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (optional).
- Measure the coconut flakes out onto the baking sheet. Drizzle the coconut flakes with tamari, liquid smoke and maple syrup. Mix well. Spread the flakes into an even layer on the parchment paper. Bake on the middle rack for 12 to 14 minutes, flipping halfway, until flakes are mostly dry and turning golden on the edges. (Keep an eye on the coconut as it can go from golden brown to deep burnt brown fairly quickly. For softer bacon, you’ll probably only need to bake for 12 minutes, for crispy bacon, aim for 14.) The coconut flakes will further crisp up as they cool.
- Let the “bacon” cool, then use it immediately or transfer to a freezer-safe bag. Coconut bacon keeps well in the freezer for several months. No need to defrost!